28 March 2009

Album Review: Lykke Li



Lykke Li - Youth Novels

I always like to discover new things, even if it's just new to me. From listening to Drake's "So Far Gone" mixtape, I instantly loved the song "Little Bit" which I thought featured her on it. I was wrong... So wrong!!! It's actually a song from this CD which I have fallen in love with.

1. Melodies & Desires - A light intro with very minimal vocals but, the instrumental itself is captivating. I started listening to this while I write because it is so beautiful. When she does speak on this, its like a poem.

2. Dance. Dance. Dance. - A playful simplistic melody with her vocals is cool. The beat is almost kind of African in influence. She has such a different sounding voice, it works very well with the music itself.

3. I'm Good. I'm Gone - A moving on song. It wouldn't be a females CD without one. I actually like it.

4. Let It Fall - Sounds like a filler to me. Still not a bad song though. Not a favorite though.

5. My Love - One of my favorites =] Just listen to it for yourself! They keep this one powerful talking about her feelings towards the person she loves and what the love makes her do.

6. Little Bit - Has an asian influence on the beat, I like this one better than the version with Drake. This is something I can relate to because it's something we all as people go through.

7. Hanging High - Since it comes right after the high energy "Little Bit", it kind of brings you down to your normal self again, sweet melody and beat.

8. This Trumpet In My Head - An instrumental that she kind of speaks over at some point.

9. Complaint Department - Euro-styled beat, this song is how a lot of people feel I'm sure. She makes it clear to whomever that she isn't the complaint department.

10. Breaking It Up - Hip-Hop like, this joint is a break up song for sure.

11. Time Flies - An interesting song, very different from the rest of the CD. It's about the things that happen as time passes.

12. Window Blues - Communication is key according to this powerful song. The lyrics explain it all, she keeps her side open, you keep shutting her out. Plus or minus a few details here and there. Lol


So, to conclude the review,
I give this album....
3 out of 5.

Positives:
Different kind of voice
Not just one style, it kind of varies
The instrumental work is hot

Negatives:
Unlike American singers,
she doesn't do high notes, her singing is slightly mono-ton-ish.

So yeah, that about sums it all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy... Speak your mind!